Tuesday 8 May 2018

PLATFORM


Everyone out there should pursue their dreams with vigour, tenacity, passion and patience -Big Tony                             
Mr. Anthony Womano Romena Ogbetere popularly called Big Tony is an Isoko man from Ellu who has done well in the entertainment industry, therefore, he needs no introduction. He has just celebrated 20 years in the entertainment industry in 2017. He is a musician, actor, producer and comedian.
Big Tony
In this interview with Isoko mirror, he narrated what motivated him into acting and his current move on how to produce complete Isoko films. He is in discussion with Racheal Oniga whose mother is from Isoko nation.
Excerpt
Please let's meet you.
My name is Anthony Womano Romena Ogbetere, but I am popularly called Big Tony. I am an actor, comedian, singer and entrepreneur.
How long have you been into the entertainment industry?
I celebrated my twenty years in entertainment in 2017. That's the year that I cut my teeth as an actor on the set of "Piccadilly" a movie produced by the Late Ebere Onwu.
What motivated you into the movie industry?
I fell in love with acting back in 1982 when I was opportune to join the literary and dramatic society at Notre Dame College, Ozoro where I started my secondary education. My first acting experience was a stage performance of Ola Rotimi's play titled "The Gods are not to blame" at Notre Dame. I was to intensify my love for stage at Government College Ughelli, where I did my Higher School Certificate and at the University Of Ibadan where I had my first degree. But it was while I was doing my NYSC in Yola, Adamawa State in 1995 that thoughts of becoming a professional actor started crossing my mind because of fallouts of my performances in the NYSC theatre troupe.
How many movie's have you produce, including comedies?
My first movie as a producer was 'Dirty Diana' in 2001, followed by 'The Prodigal Brother' in 2005. Then I produced 'Behind The Madness' in 2006, and co produced a TV series titled "Yours Faithfully" in 2009. I took a break as a producer for a while to concentrate on acting and TV modelling. In 2012 I resumed production again with 'What Goes Around' and my debut comedy show titled 'Big Tony Comedy Jam'. These were followed by 'One Outage Too Many' in 2014, and 'Santa Alabama' in 2016.
Which of your movies is more challenging & interesting?
They're all challenging but I love 'The Prodigal Brother' in which I played the comic character Mudiaga. That's the movie that gave me a voice in the industry. Then I also love 'Santa Alabama' where I acted as a funny lawyer that speaks big and bogus grammar. Then there is 'Behind The Madness' where I played the role of an American returnee.
You own a record label and you are a musician, do you still intend to release a musical album?
Yes. My label Romena Records has been experimenting with a few artistes and several songs for a while now. Personally I have recorded about nine songs that are good to go but the one that seems to have captured people's attention is 'Enene Tinene' which I did as a soundtrack to "Squatters" a TV series that I am starring in.
When is I'soko, your father land, going to produce a standard Isoko movie just like the Ibos, Hausa, Yorubas, Calabars?
I have been in serious discussions with Rachel Oniga whose mother is Isoko and some other movie professionals from Delta on the need to produce complete Isoko films or a fusion of Isoko and Urhobo movies. Recently Rachel Oniga, Tony Akposheri and I were in Delta state to see some prospective sponsors for these projects. I am using this opportunity to challenge well-meaning Isoko men and women to invest in the industry and create jobs for our Isoko youths who are interested in carving a niche for themselves in the industry. The reason why the Igbos dominate the industry is because it is Igbos that invest most in the industry. The industry has made many Igbos to become multimillionaires by investing in Nollywood. These investors have used the process to also employ Igbo youths and turn them to celebrities. We stand to create many celebrities and multimillionaires in Isoko if we embrace the movie business. It is an opportunity for wealth creation, and promotion of our very rich culture.
Tell us about your latest movie.
My most recent job is titled "Oghenekome". It was produced by Micro Media Productions. I am one of the lead actors. It is currently showing on Africa Magic Showcase from Mondays to Fridays by 6 pm. They also do a repeat broadcast every morning around 10 am. 'Oghenekome' is a story about militancy in the Niger Delta. It is a story of love, betrayal, greed, intrigue, power play, and suspense. 'Oghenekome' is a telenovela starring Ramsey Noah, Segun Arinze, Rachel Oniga, Big Tony, Chelsea Eze, Tony Akposheri, Steph Nora Okere, Jere Okpan, Frankisence Eche-Ben and Sam Uche Amyamele.
If you were not into entertainment industry, what would have become
I did worked nine years with ExxonMobil downstream as senior staff. I was a PENGASSAN leader in ExxonMobil and in the national Congress. So if I wasn't an Entertainer I'd probably still be an oil worker.
What is your last word in this interview?
I will encourage everyone out there to pursue their dreams with vigour, tenacity, passion, and patience. Nigeria is a great country. Let us join hands and make her greater. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Learn digital marketing free

Hi do you like to learn new skills? Do you want to know how to sell your product & services online? will you like to be a digital market...